Tuesday, September 20, 2011

It Was Bound To Happen

Monday proved to be an interesting evening. Jenna and Paige had friends over and they were playing in the backyard. I heard crying and proceeded to do what I always do... ignore it. 


Jenna was coming up the stairs and Carissa was following. For some reason, I turned and actually paid attention to her. I went to her and picked her up. As I did, Carissa gave a demonstration of how Jenna fell off the monkey bars and landed on her face. Then when I turned to put her in my lap, Mama said, "Oh! It's broken!" Then she morphed into Nurse Mema and made a make shift splint. She grabbed 3 Highlight Magazines and put it around her arm and I grabbed a bandana to make a sling. (I have an Ace Bandage but it was MIA as the kids play with it all the time. Later, I found it in Jenna's dresser drawer!) 


I sent Hannah to take our friends home and get Adam from up the street. Then my friend, Erika (the girls' mom), came down and brought a really cool ice pack from her husband's stash of injury supplies. It fit perfectly in the sling. In the meanwhile, Jenna had stopped crying (she was never hysterical) and was just sitting patiently while I made plans. She even was smiling at people talking to her.


So, Daddy stayed with the 4 kids and Mema came with me to the Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. It's a local children's emergency facility. Jenna made Mema ride with her in the back. :) Chris got there right before we went back.




Jenna obviously had to have x-rays taken. OH GOODNESS!!! Jenna was SUCH an amazing little girl. She had to turn her hand this way and that. There were a little bit of tears as she did that - ALL BY HERSELF. Then she was asked to hold her hand up (with her elbow on the table). This one position was the killer. She was crying because it hurt her so much, but she still did what she was asked to do. And when she did, that was when I saw that yep - it was broken. 


The official term: Closed Fracture of Head of Radius


They put a temp splint on her and then the doctor came in and said she had to go to the hospital. The break was clean, but it was shifted badly enough that it needed attention that night. So off we went to Scottish Rite Children's Hospital. Without boring you with details, that facility was amazing! Just to say, it started with the free 24 hour complementary valet parking at the emergency room entrance.


They put cream on 2 places to numb her for the IV - AKA her "straw".


Waiting for the procedure to start...


This whole time, she was just amazing! They put her under and made us leave the room. The procedure being done was the ortho doctor manipulated her broken bone back into position. Then they put on her cast and called us back in. But that poor angel did not want to wake up. 


And I couldn't resist a picture of her gorgeous eyelashes...


But she finally woke up and the first thing she did was look at her cast. Then she said, "no one has signed it yet." :) She drank some juice and got some pain medicine, and then we were on our way home (after midnight). She is an amazing little girl who was so brave the whole time. I hope I can be like her when I grow up!

1 comment:

  1. I sure wish this had not happened but since it did I am so glad Daddy Wayne and I were there to help out. Kuddos to Daddy Wayne for taking care of dinner and baths for the four kiddos left at home. And, as an added note Jenna was a real trooper and brave beyond belief. I had a friend ask if those eyelashes were real--that made me laugh. Now if Lisa can only keep her from breaking the other arm as Jenna gets on with life and heals. Jenna BOULDERS!! Oh yes, good job Lisa--you stayed calm, cool, and collected--you BOULDER also

    ReplyDelete

About Me

Welcome, friends! I look forward to working with you soon!