Adam stayed home today from school for the first time because he is sick. Nothing terrible, just a cold and small fever. He's doing fine but right now he's about to take a nap with the promise of a movie afterwards.
But the part that makes my heart sigh is that last night Jenna cried herself to sleep (almost. she did stop because I laid beside her and loved on her). She realized that Adam probably was not going to be at school. Through her tears, she said that she was afraid to go to school without him. She said that she couldn't do it. Of course I soothed her and things were better this morning. But that made me realize that this is the first time they've ever been separated like this. I'm not talking play dates and spend the nights. I'm talking 8 hours of school side by side. In preschool, they had perfect attendance. Up until today, they had perfect attendance in kindergarten. This is the first time Jenna has had to be without him. I can only imagine what she is feeling. This boy has been by her side from the start and has comforted her - even though he probably doesn't even realize he does. I was so proud of her as she got on the bus today because I knew she was struggling. But my brave girl is having a good day. Of course I emailed the teachers to check on her! I can't wait to hear how she describes her day. In reality, she probably isn't even think about Adam. But it is just one more "first" for Jenna... and me. It was a funny feeling to think about them not being together. It comforts Jenna having Adam by her side. And even though I didn't realize it, I guess it comforts me, too.

I remember seeing Jenna on top of, beside and next to Adam on the ultrasounds. I remember when they were in the incubators separately and saw Adam wasn't doing very good. I remember how he started perking up when they put them together. Both calmed down and cuddled. I know last night and this morning was hard--glad it is behind you. I must say Adam looks pretty cute for a sicko. Kisses to him and a big hug. Then one for all those other Glynn Grands.
ReplyDelete